Fibre Broadband: Anyone else live too close to the exchange?

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
engeeaitch
Fibre Broadband: Anyone else live too close to the exchange?

Post by engeeaitch » Sun 08 Nov, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi all,

I live in Stanley Road, just off the London Road, and about 300m from the Hertford telephone exchange. Virgin Media does not cover our street and so the only option for broadband is via the telephone line. We get a good speed for a copper connection - don't get me wrong - but I have been trying to get upgraded to a fibre connection.

After lots of to-ing and fro-ing, I have been told that I live too close to the exchange! The BT solution relies on fibre to the cabinet (FTTC), but we are connected directly to the exchange, which means there is no cabinet, and therefore no fibre. This seems crazy to me - there is fibre in the exchange, and my copper line is in the exchange, why can't they connect the two together!

I've been in touch with Connected Counties, but they just say that they give BT some money, and BT work out the priority based on where they will get the best returns.

Is anyone else in this position? Anyone aware of any pressure groups?

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Fibre Broadband: Anyone else live too close to the exchange?

Post by Steve » Mon 09 Nov, 2015 1:57 am

What do you want to do with fibre that you can't do with copper?

Useful link:
http://www.choose.net/media/guide/faqs/ ... dband.html

leo densian

Re: Fibre Broadband: Anyone else live too close to the exchange?

Post by leo densian » Mon 09 Nov, 2015 1:46 pm

Up in Brookside, also not far from the exchange, there is a theoretical 20Mbps BT/Sky/EE etc. service but the best I could ever get on the main PC which was cable connected to the router was 12-13Mbps. The wifi speeds were down at about 5mbps which was hopeless when multiple devices were connected. Hence the decision to move to Virgin.

Since the recent Virgin speed upgrade we are getting a pretty decent and reliable 35-40Mbps on wifi which keeps Xbox boy happy and 70+ on the PC directly cabelled to the router.