Hertford Mosque Planning Application

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
night owl
Hertford Mosque Planning Application

Post by night owl » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 2:13 am

Hi does anyone have any information about the planning application for a Mosque in Hertford ?

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Hertford Mosque Planning Application

Post by Steve » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 4:00 am

night owl wrote:Hi does anyone have any information about the planning application for a Mosque in Hertford ?
There's no such planning application listed on the District Council's website.

Is this a rumour that you've heard or do you have a source you can cite?

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 9:29 am

I heard this one last year. Someone just passing on something they had heard. Said to be Shire Hall. Mind you it is rarely used these days apart I think being used as a Family Court; the rest of the business has gone to Stevenage and St Albans.

night owl

Post by night owl » Mon 02 Mar, 2015 6:03 pm

There is a thread on Spotted in Hertford claiming this ???

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 12:09 am

night owl wrote:There is a thread on Spotted in Hertford claiming this ???
And you believed it?
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (36.07KiB)Viewed 12480 times
Sounds very much like idle gossip to me. Who are these "councilers"? Town, District, County? When did they discuss it and where? Just because it's on Facebook doesn't mean it's true. I'm amazed (and disappointed) that not one of the comments I've read questions the authenticity of the claim, everyone just believes it without a second thought.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, there's no such planning application listed on the District Council's online database. I've also seen no yellow notices or read anything in The Mercury.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 11:20 am

In all my years living and working in this town I still do not know why, how and where these rumours start. Every time a shop goes empty someone will tell me that it is being taken over by Argos. Last year I was angrily accosted by two senior ladies who told me that Wetherspoons had bought Bircherley Green Shopping Centre and opening a bar where Waitrose was with a beer garden on the first floor. Asked where they had heard this they said the Hertford Club. So there you are.

Some time ago WH Smith was closing and every week someone tells me that Sainsbry's are already failing. Do they have a hot line to the accounts dept? As soon as the place opened people were complaining that it wasn't big enough and they should add a Home and Wear dept. This at a site where no one apparently wanted a supermarket at all.

Perhaps the mosque is part of the next Hertford Town Centre Urban Design Strategy hosted by Tibbalds Planning and Urban Design at a huge cost as I read in the Mercury. http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/N ... story.html. Perhaps they have seen turbaned gentlemen leaving the Quaker Meeting House once a month and putting this together with the empty Marquee next door have made two and two make five. I realise this is making a new thread so may start one.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 12:23 pm

If anyone chooses to meet (for religious purposes or not) in a place where meetings already take place and/or that's what the premises are for then why would anyone need planning consent?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 2:01 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:If anyone chooses to meet (for religious purposes or not) in a place where meetings already take place and/or that's what the premises are for then why would anyone need planning consent?
Your comments confuse me. The [claimed] planning application is for a [new] mosque to be built. It does not relate to any existing premises or arrangements.

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 4:19 pm

SloopJohnB wrote: Perhaps the mosque is part of the next Hertford Town Centre Urban Design Strategy hosted by Tibbalds Planning and Urban Design at a huge cost as I read in the Mercury. http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/N ... story.html.
Wow! I'll do you a study for £100,000, where's that back of an envelope...

Nice work if you can get it. I wonder if anyone's considered putting the £100,000 into the area concerned?

codek2

Post by codek2 » Tue 03 Mar, 2015 4:57 pm

I agree, that 100k is a complete and utter waste of money. There's no way that company can justify that.