4G In Hertford?

Clubs and societies, neighbourhood and social issues
jackanapes
4G In Hertford?

Post by jackanapes » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 10:19 am

Anyone got it? We seem tantalisingly close to the EE 4G coverage, Hoddesdon, Welwyn GC, and Hatfield all have it we seemingly do not

Joe

Re: 4G In Hertford?

Post by Joe » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 6:23 am

When I checked where we have our house, SG142ED, 4G isn't available but a bit up the road it is.
Here's there coverage checker
https://explore.ee.co.uk/coverage-checker

I'm confused a bit though, they don't seem to have there own cell towers and rely on, or piggy back onto, T-Mobile or Orange so would it not be easier and cheaper to go to the source rather than a 3rd party?

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm confused a bit though, they don't seem to have there own cell towers and rely on, or piggy back onto, T-Mobile or Orange so would it not be easier and cheaper to go to the source rather than a 3rd party?
EE are Orange/T-Mobile it's the renamed company after they merged a couple of years ago. I note that 3 Mobile are rolling out 4G next year but according to their coverage checker I don't even have indoor coverage

rogerstone

Post by rogerstone » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 6:02 pm

So it might be OK when my 3 contract expires in August then.

;)

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 6:33 pm

jackanapes wrote:
EE are Orange/T-Mobile it's the renamed company after they merged a couple of years ago. I note that 3 Mobile are rolling out 4G next year but according to their coverage checker I don't even have indoor coverage
Thanks for clearing that up. The confusion was caused as Ofcom's site finder still lists them as under there original name and not EE. I guess Ofcom's site finder hasn't had time to update there records of cell tower owners.

Moose66

Post by Moose66 » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 12:06 pm

According to the EE website 4G works at my home address now ..... BUT ONLY if I stand outdoors.
The wonders of modern technology !!
Can't wait to try it out this evening :)

Joe

Post by Joe » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 1:00 pm

Moose66 wrote:According to the EE website 4G works at my home address now ..... BUT ONLY if I stand outdoors.
and on top of a chair :lol:

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 2:18 pm

Moose66 wrote:According to the EE website 4G works at my home address now ..... BUT ONLY if I stand outdoors.
And how does it work? Is it really worth the extra pennies?

Moose66

Post by Moose66 » Mon 16 Dec, 2013 3:55 pm

Ha! Completely forgot to try it over the weekend.
Will have a go this evening if Mrs M doesn't mind me taking the furniture outdoors - mind you the rain probably reduces the reception !!

Moose66

Post by Moose66 » Tue 17 Dec, 2013 12:35 pm

Footfruit wrote:
And how does it work? Is it really worth the extra pennies?
I finally tested it out. No 4G outdoors in the street, or in the garden, or leaning out of an upstairs window!
Seriously though, it is very useful when away from home and works a treat when I am in London, worth the cost in my opinion.
You don't need it at home, only when out and about.