BBC4 on Freeview

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Steve
Project Leader
BBC4 on Freeview

Post by Steve » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 9:45 pm

Is anyone else having problems with BBC4 HD on Freeview?

It's completely disappeared for me.

Aerial is pointed at Crystal Palace and it has been fine until recently..

TcfL

Re: BBC4 on Freeview

Post by TcfL » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 7:12 am

I'm on Sandy Heath and it is reporting that there is a signal problem (weak/lost) with BBC 4 HD so, hopefully, it'll come back by this evening.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 4:29 pm

To clarify, this has been ongoing for a week or two.

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sun 10 Jun, 2018 8:37 pm

Understood. Don't usually use BBC4 HD just BBC4 but have watched HD at intervals for past two days and see no problems. Would however say that for the past couple of years I have seen degrading of the signal from Sandy Heath with the loss of signal on a number of channels. Have taken them to task over it, especially as I know someone who lives very close to the transmitter and we cross check when problems occur, and we have similar problems but often to a lesser degree. We believe that as these resources are now privately run they, at times, reduce signals power on a number of band widths and weather, therefore, has a greater effect on the signal quality which didn't used to happen. The transmitter does not agree with that analysis.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Mon 11 Jun, 2018 8:11 am

having read this, i realised that i've lost BBC R1/R2 DAB out in stony hills area. didnt really think anything of it, dab does seem to drift and and out, but is it related?

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Wed 13 Jun, 2018 6:00 pm

Reading this I would say yes. http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digitalradio/expansion There is a radio section and a postcode checker. Based on my experience with TV I would say 'Good Luck'

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 9:10 pm

Update: As I have continued to have reception problems on FreeView - loss of channels and degradation of signal across a number of channels I used to receive - I complained to YouView to no avail. However, have now found that transmitters appear to remain the responsibility of the BBC so have recorded my concerns using this link https://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/diagnostic/ If anyone else has problems with reception and/or loss of channels I would encourage you record your issues to help improve service delivery.