The Hertford Club

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Badvoc
The Hertford Club

Post by Badvoc » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 12:55 pm

Can anyone share anything about the Hertford Club - Membership Cost, atmosphere, average age group... anything.

From their website I understand there's a bar, restaurant, function rooms etc.. but this doesn't really let me know what to expect, and I'd like to get some pointers before wasting their time showing me around. Thanks.

SloopJohnB

Re: The Hertford Club

Post by SloopJohnB » Sat 11 Jul, 2015 9:30 pm

I could be quite wrong on this but Sunday night was/is an open music night for members. guests and general public. I know a few people who regularly attend on Sundays who are not members and have no intention of being so. Tomorrow being Sunday might be worth a visit.

It is a lovely old fifteenth century building. Rumour has it there is a ghost as well. There are two levels of membership. Full and associate. First costs a little more but you are entitled to a share of the profits and dare I say it, any losses or calls on funds. Associate membership lets you drink there at a reasonable rate. You don't have to appear before the membership committee in your best bib and tucker any more but your application form is displayed for a couple of weeks. Purely a formality I believe.

They used to have guest beers which cost even less on production of membership card. At one time you could only get Macs beers esp AK but there is a much more liberal policy towards real ales now and a better selection. The food is good, maybe not outstanding but they do a passable Sunday lunch so I'm told. As they hire out the club for weddings, birthdays etc you may find that even members are not allowed in on some nights.

It is quite pleasant to sit out in the garden. Very English. Occasional music nights and do a good turn on Magical Musical Tour Days

Like all clubs it varies from being empty to very full at any time of day in the week for no apparent reason. There is a snooker room upstairs.

The above information is given as I used to know the place and may be completely out of date. As most probably is my membership card.

Toady

Post by Toady » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 9:03 pm

John,

I'm quite tempted, having wandered past the Hertford Club many times and harboured a desire to belong to what is clearly a Hertford institution. Any idea how much membership costs?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 12 Jul, 2015 10:52 pm

The Sunday night open mic stopped last year.

Golden

Post by Golden » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 8:23 am

I'm not a member but I've spent a few sunny afternoons in the garden and its a lovely spot; although the open mic may have stopped they have plenty of other open events advertised on the gate and it could be worth dropping into one of these.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 9:21 am

Steve wrote:The Sunday night open mic stopped last year.
That just shows you what I know but as Golden says there are posters on the entrance and I think there is some sort of open event this Wednesday; open to 'members, guests and visitors'.

Toady, as for fees. I think the annual fee for Associate membership is about £48. I remember me and Mrs B paying half of that because we joined in June/July time. Full membership may be about £60 - £70. The regular bar man and chef often pop into Waitrose so will ask Mrs B if she can get some up to date info on price from one, either or both of them.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 6:40 pm

SloopJohnB wrote:
... I think there is some sort of open event this Wednesday; open to 'members, guests and visitors'.
That was last Wednesday (8th). Pat Crilly does a monthly thing on the 2nd Weds of each month.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Mon 13 Jul, 2015 8:18 pm

Steve wrote:
SloopJohnB wrote:
... I think there is some sort of open event this Wednesday; open to 'members, guests and visitors'.
That was last Wednesday (8th). Pat Crilly does a monthly thing on the 2nd Weds of each month.
I feel as if I'm living in a time warp. Must be a Hertford Club thing.

Toady

Post by Toady » Tue 14 Jul, 2015 9:37 pm

All sounds good. John - if you get the gen on the membership fees let us know please!