Music at Hertford Corn Exchange

Your thoughts on what's to see and do
Alec
Re: Music at Hertford Corn Exchange

Post by Alec » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 4:07 pm

So, Limehouse Lizzy were splendid as ever last night - checkout this fab rendition of Whisky In The Jar.

And then, tomorrow Sat 22 Feb, there's the welcome return of Larry Miller, rock/blues guitarist extraordinaire. A treat of a week for fans of fine guitar music.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri 07 Mar, 2014 6:03 pm

Coming up in March:

Sat 15 Mar - From The Jam - With original Jam member Bruce Foxton, and the excellent Russell Hastings taking the Weller role admirably, FTJ have rocked the Corn Exchange a few times in the past. This time, they're back on their acoustic tour, which should give a new angle on some old Jam classics.

Sat 22 Mar - Livewire AC/DC - A welcome return after last year's stonking gig. With two frontmen, Livewire deliver a Bon Scott first half and a Brian Johnson second half. Great, ballsy rock - with cannon thrown in for good measure.

Fri 28 Mar - Big Country - First time at the Corn Exchange, but Big Country have a fantastic live reputation at the moment. Bagpipe guitars at the ready as they appear on their 30th anniversary Steeltown tour.

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Mon 10 Mar, 2014 6:16 pm

I forgot to say how amazing Slowhand were on Friday the 28th of Feb. One of the best bands that I have ever seen.

Alec

Post by Alec » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 2:18 pm

Coming up this week:

Thu 24 Apr - Purple Zeppelin - A double-value tribute act, starting with a set of Deep Purple classics, and then a Led Zep set. Purple Zeppelin were awarded the title of Best Tribute Act of 2012.

Sat 26 Mar - Dressed to Kill - bringing their KISS tribute act to Hertford. Their rider has two hours reserved for costume & make-up, so an impressive show is expected.

Hertford Born & Bred

Post by Hertford Born & Bred » Tue 22 Apr, 2014 9:49 pm

Alec do you work at the CX, Just got a question i would like to ask if you do.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri 02 May, 2014 3:34 pm

So, a busy May at the Corn Exchange:

Fri 9 May - Terry Hall - A DJ set from Terry Hall, originally in The Specials & Fun Boy Three, and fresh from his stint covering for Jarvis Cocker on Radio 6 Music, there will be support from 2 local bands including the rather good Sofasonic.

Sat 10 May - Rhythm Festival Reunion - An all-day line-up including The Grand Slambovians, The Men They Couldn't Hang, Nine Below Zero and John Otway - plus more - should be a cracking day!

Fri 16 May - Absolute Bowie- The country's premier Bowie tribute make a welcome return. Plenty of costume changes give a great authentic show - thankfully no Tin Machine here.

Sun 25May - Graham Gouldman- Graham presents a Heart Full Of Songs - obviously covering his hits with 10cc, but also much more, in an intimate acoustic line-up. A legend in our midst!

Fri 30 May - Bad Manners - Rounding off the month in style, Buster Bloodvessel and his band take us back to ska glory.

Phew, what a collection! And yes, I do live sound for many of the Corn Exchange events. For disclosure, I have no vested financial interest, but just love to have a full house enjoying a great show. And it's really true - the more people there are, the better the band sounds...

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 1:16 pm

And, after a busy (and excellent) Mar/June, just a single headliner in July - but what a corker!

Thu 3 Jul - The Bad Shepherds - Ade Edmondson and his accomplished band play punk songs on folk instruments. Not as a gag, but because they really like the noise. They think the songs are better than people remember. Fresh from Glastonbury the previous weekend, this promises to be a night to remember.

mistlethrush

Post by mistlethrush » Wed 18 Jun, 2014 1:53 pm

2 tickets booked today for the Bad Shepherds. We saw them a while back at a festival and they were utterly brilliant, really looking forward to this one.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 8:34 am

I think my son would have enjoyed this but he is away then. I keep checking this thread as I am really keen to take him down there although he is now 16 so think he may not want to be with me........ :(

Capitalist Piglet

Post by Capitalist Piglet » Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:13 pm

Seriously advise anyone who likes punk/folk or actually any damn music at all to see The Bad Shepherds. They are excellent.