Bircherley Green

News and views on shopping in the county town.
jasmine98
Bircherley Green

Post by jasmine98 » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 12:39 pm

What a depressing place Bircherley Green has become. Closed shops boarded up and now painted black. Waitrose also closed. Clock not working. Bus information board not working. Toilets only partially available and awful condition.
So this is our County town now, just how long is this going to continue before redevelopment starts.

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Bircherley Green

Post by Steve » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 1:25 pm

As soon as the S106 Agreements have been signed off and all shop leases ended, I imagine.

jasmine98

Post by jasmine98 » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 3:33 pm

This year, next year, somtime in thé future then! Well I shall not bother, but go to Hoddesdon where they have a good selection of supermsrkets, excellent markets on both Wednesdays and Fridays and many other interesting shops. There are also some great town centre events put on by Broxbourne Counccil who seem to ccare about their town.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Sat 09 Dec, 2017 4:16 pm

lol you have to be joking? Are you seriously saying the council should put on MORE events in the town? There's stuff on practically every week!

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Fri 02 Feb, 2018 2:33 pm

Like others I was confused as to progress on the redevelopment so I wrote to Wrenbridge and they have been very prompt in replying to me advising: "
"Thank you for your helpful feedback in relation to communication. We will aim to provide an update to the Mercury over the 6weeks.
Wrenbridge have updated the Mercury and they have used some of our quotes in a number of stories since the committee decision in October.
The design team are currently progressing the planning approved scheme to a scheme that can be costed by Building Contractors.
We’re also still in discussions with the NHS about the potential for a new health centre, which could provide another benefit for the community.
Our aim is to start on site in the summer but we will be able to provide more concrete timings for the commencement on site from Mid-March."
which, for me, clarifies where they are at.

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Mon 12 Feb, 2018 10:26 pm

In the Mercury.. A Beefeater is proposed.

Jesus wept. Over-priced, brown food. Yes I am being snobby.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 2:35 am

monkeyman1974 wrote:In the Mercury.. A Beefeater is proposed.

If it's in The Mercury it must be true :roll:

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 14 Feb, 2018 1:59 pm

But there is one in Ware and we have been a few times (works well for a hungry teenager) and never had a problem getting a table so it is not at saturation point and will compete against itself.

Not been for several months now so situation may have changed.

And I must say it is easy to park so not sure that the Hertford one will have the same benefit.

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:20 pm

Steve wrote:

Very good.

Anyway, it's a wider issue. The scheme was conceived a while back when mid-market food and beverage was doing well, and operators were expanding. In short they aren't now. True or not, the utterance of Beefeater as a possible reflects the problems this development will face in attracting big rents from nationals. It may be a good thing, as maybe we'll get a mix of nationals and indies.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 1:28 am

monkeyman1974 wrote:
Steve wrote:

Very good.

Anyway, it's a wider issue. The scheme was conceived a while back when mid-market food and beverage was doing well, and operators were expanding. In short they aren't now. True or not, the utterance of Beefeater as a possible reflects the problems this development will face in attracting big rents from nationals. It may be a good thing, as maybe we'll get a mix of nationals and indies.
It's only a licence application. I suspect they're probably just keeping their options open. The Scheme itself makes no mention of a Beefeater.