Page 6 of 10

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:20 am
by codek2
Err, I already did that joke :)

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:43 am
by Golden
Doh!! :oops:

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 1:31 pm
by Robbo
Waitrose director of development, Nigel Keen, said: "It's no secret that we have had a long-standing aspiration to have a new store in the area."

Sounds pretty much like they will make it happen, if not at Van Hage then somewhere else in the area. They clearly feel there is scope for a much larger store - the Hertford branch only carries a limited product range in comparison to their larger stores.

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 4:19 pm
by jackanapes
Waitrose director of development, Nigel Keen, said: "It's no secret that we have had a long-standing aspiration to have a new store in the area."


Well the police station site was available for a long time, so maybe not that long-standing, planning issues aside.

As a card carrying member of the JLP/Waitrose fanclub it'll be a real shame if Waitrose leaves the town but I'm sure Aldi or Lidl would jump at the chance to utilise the unit.

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Thu 27 Feb, 2014 5:20 pm
by Steve
jackanapes wrote:
Waitrose director of development, Nigel Keen, said: "It's no secret that we have had a long-standing aspiration to have a new store in the area."


Well the police station site was available for a long time ...

I think Zog managed to sell it [to Barratt Homes, with planning permission] within a few months of it going back on the market after they pulled out of the arrangement with the Police Authority.

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Fri 28 Feb, 2014 9:42 am
by jackanapes
I think Zog managed to sell it [to Barratt Homes, with planning permission] within a few months of it going back on the market after they pulled out of the arrangement with the Police Authority.


Yes it was the several month pre Barratt phase to which I referred, besides I'm not sure Zog actually ever "owned" the site.

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Fri 28 Feb, 2014 11:37 am
by Darcy Sarto
This works for me as long as:

a) we get a replacment store of some value at the existing site (not Waitrose' problem).
b) The Section 106 agreement inlcudes provison for a regular Waitrose/Van Hage free "community bus" service from the town centre out to Amwell.

This would actually work the other way round too as you could, effectively, park and ride from Amwell assuming the parking was free/cheap to avoid parking charges in Hertford - this would be a test for Waitrose' "commitment to local communities"...

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Fri 28 Feb, 2014 2:31 pm
by Footfruit
Darcy Sarto wrote:This works for me as long as:

a) we get a replacment store of some value at the existing site (not Waitrose' problem).
b) The Section 106 agreement inlcudes provison for a regular Waitrose/Van Hage free "community bus" service from the town centre out to Amwell.

This would actually work the other way round too as you could, effectively, park and ride from Amwell assuming the parking was free/cheap to avoid parking charges in Hertford - this would be a test for Waitrose' "commitment to local communities"...


This question has been asked before on this thread so please forgive the repeat, or forgive if I have missed something but:
Is there any indication that Waitrose would move out of Hertford if a new store opened at VH???

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Fri 28 Feb, 2014 5:04 pm
by codek2
sadly yes footfruit - the manager has said so.

even though that is utterly insane!

Re: Waitrose rumour

Posted: Fri 28 Feb, 2014 8:07 pm
by James007
codek2 wrote:sadly yes footfruit - the manager has said so.

even though that is utterly insane!


I don't understand. Why utterly insane?