Waitrose Moving to Van Hage

News and views on shopping in the county town.
codek2
Re: Waitrose rumour

Post by codek2 » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:20 am

Err, I already did that joke :)

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:43 am

Doh!! :oops:

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 1:31 pm

Waitrose director of development, Nigel Keen, said: "It's no secret that we have had a long-standing aspiration to have a new store in the area."

Sounds pretty much like they will make it happen, if not at Van Hage then somewhere else in the area. They clearly feel there is scope for a much larger store - the Hertford branch only carries a limited product range in comparison to their larger stores.

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 4:19 pm

Waitrose director of development, Nigel Keen, said: "It's no secret that we have had a long-standing aspiration to have a new store in the area."
Well the police station site was available for a long time, so maybe not that long-standing, planning issues aside.

As a card carrying member of the JLP/Waitrose fanclub it'll be a real shame if Waitrose leaves the town but I'm sure Aldi or Lidl would jump at the chance to utilise the unit.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 5:20 pm

jackanapes wrote:
Well the police station site was available for a long time ...
I think Zog managed to sell it [to Barratt Homes, with planning permission] within a few months of it going back on the market after they pulled out of the arrangement with the Police Authority.

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 9:42 am

I think Zog managed to sell it [to Barratt Homes, with planning permission] within a few months of it going back on the market after they pulled out of the arrangement with the Police Authority.
Yes it was the several month pre Barratt phase to which I referred, besides I'm not sure Zog actually ever "owned" the site.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 11:37 am

This works for me as long as:

a) we get a replacment store of some value at the existing site (not Waitrose' problem).
b) The Section 106 agreement inlcudes provison for a regular Waitrose/Van Hage free "community bus" service from the town centre out to Amwell.

This would actually work the other way round too as you could, effectively, park and ride from Amwell assuming the parking was free/cheap to avoid parking charges in Hertford - this would be a test for Waitrose' "commitment to local communities"...

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 2:31 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:This works for me as long as:

a) we get a replacment store of some value at the existing site (not Waitrose' problem).
b) The Section 106 agreement inlcudes provison for a regular Waitrose/Van Hage free "community bus" service from the town centre out to Amwell.

This would actually work the other way round too as you could, effectively, park and ride from Amwell assuming the parking was free/cheap to avoid parking charges in Hertford - this would be a test for Waitrose' "commitment to local communities"...
This question has been asked before on this thread so please forgive the repeat, or forgive if I have missed something but:
Is there any indication that Waitrose would move out of Hertford if a new store opened at VH???

codek2

Post by codek2 » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 5:04 pm

sadly yes footfruit - the manager has said so.

even though that is utterly insane!

James007

Post by James007 » Fri 28 Feb, 2014 8:07 pm

codek2 wrote:sadly yes footfruit - the manager has said so.

even though that is utterly insane!
I don't understand. Why utterly insane?