Waitrose Moving to Van Hage

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Ted Badger
Re: Waitrose rumour

Post by Ted Badger » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 11:42 am

Steve wrote:I know that the town council and Diego would bend over backward to keep Waitrose in Bircherley Green.
I've always had the impression that the council were never really that bothered about encouraging business over getting the most they can out of business rates and parking fees.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 12:22 pm

Ted Badger wrote:
Steve wrote:I know that the town council and Diego would bend over backward to keep Waitrose in Bircherley Green.
I've always had the impression that the council were never really that bothered about encouraging business over getting the most they can out of business rates and parking fees.
I think you may be confusing the town council with the district council.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Thu 20 Feb, 2014 5:15 pm

Steve wrote:
Ted Badger wrote:
I think you may be confusing the town council with the district council.
Always best when bemoaning or praising the local governement organs that you just refer to "the council" to avoid snippy comments form those who know better :P

Ted Badger

Post by Ted Badger » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 8:21 am

Darcy Sarto wrote:
Always best when bemoaning or praising the local governement organs that you just refer to "the council" to avoid snippy comments form those who know better :P
:D

Fair do's!

So it's the District Council that are throttling the town centres with exorbitant business rates and deterring shoppers with expensive and impractical parking schemes, whilst the Town Council put the Christmas decorations up?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:45 pm

Ted Badger wrote: Fair do's!

So it's the District Council that are throttling the town centres with exorbitant business rates and deterring shoppers with expensive and impractical parking schemes, whilst the Town Council put the Christmas decorations up?
That's it! :)

Golden

Post by Golden » Fri 21 Feb, 2014 1:05 pm

I wouldn't say that's quite true - the district council do seem to be quite skilled at encouraging town centre growth and many of the other aspects in Bishops Stortford which is where all of the political power is based. They don't seem too bothered with the rest of East Herts unfortunately.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 12:24 am

It's Diageo not Diego

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 2:41 am

Smudger wrote:It's Diageo not Diego
I stand corrected :oops:

Drama Queen

Post by Drama Queen » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:10 am

DQ's father informs that the move is a "done deal" as he was in conversation with a person doing the dealing and moving! So guess we need to know what will replace Waitrose and keep the town centre from going to a ghost town.. hmmmmmmm

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:17 am

I suppose I ought to get in there first ..... Nando's? :D

It will be some time before the move as Waitrose aren't in the habit of building stores then applying for retrospective planning permission so I won't have to post 'My Waitrose' card back to them as a protest just yet!