New Wine Shop

News and views on shopping in the county town.
SloopJohnB
Re: New Wine Shop

Post by SloopJohnB » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:36 am

Smudger wrote:I tried to persuade these guys to come to Hertford.
They were keen to move into the old MacDonalds building, but the post office beat them to it.

Convenience store, restaurant, and bar all rolled into one.
Massive range of craft beers in the store, and you can drink them in the bar with a small corkage charge.

http://www.eat17.co.uk/hackney-store/
Actually these people did contact me about the McDonalds building but I had to tell them that at the time the new franchisees for the Post office were almost at the end of the consultation period and it was all but rubber stamped that they would move to Macs. There were other shops about to come on the market but none of the size that they needed. A problem in this town built some four hundred years ago. Is the Peking House still available?

However I hear a whisper that the proposed planning application from Wrenbridge if and when it is submitted will differ somewhat form the original consultation. It is possible that they will favour two or three restaurant/A3 outlets to front the river and may or may not include an anchor food store. As I have posted elsewhere their last tweet on the subject on Dec 15th was that their plans would include a hotel. It may mean that Bircherley Green may look nothing like we have been led to believe.

HertfordWino

Post by HertfordWino » Wed 04 May, 2016 6:57 pm

Thank you all so much for your comments, they have been most helpful. I will keep you posted on the forum as the project advances. The idea would be apply for both an on premise and off license, possibly to have an area to sell by the glass with some cold and prepared food, however it would not be run as a full bar. We would certainly stock a large selection of local, domestic and craft beers so there should be something for everyone. The challenge will be tempting people from the supermarkets and the various bottle shops around town. Although our product range is somewhat different whilst being similarly priced.

SloopJohnB, I will send you a message as things progress with the view to meeting you to discuss your experience if that's OK ?

Hopefully looked forward to welcoming you all soon

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Wed 04 May, 2016 9:09 pm

HertfordWino wrote:SloopJohnB, I will send you a message as things progress with the view to meeting you to discuss your experience if that's OK ?
No probs. Usual rates apply. In my case a pint or two in a local hostelry. I think my profile is up to date. If not go through Admin. Hope things do progress well.

mdja

Post by mdja » Tue 10 May, 2016 10:04 pm

Just to add to this, I know my wife would welcome a new wine shop in town and I would be happy to buy decent beer - so good luck with your venture! :D

HertfordWino

Post by HertfordWino » Wed 17 May, 2017 6:45 pm

SloopJohnB wrote:
HertfordWino wrote:SloopJohnB, I will send you a message as things progress with the view to meeting you to discuss your experience if that's OK ?
No probs. Usual rates apply. In my case a pint or two in a local hostelry. I think my profile is up to date. If not go through Admin. Hope things do progress well.
@SloopJohnB - Would you be able to PM me your contact details, I am unable to send messages myself for some reason and would like to take you up on the above offer.

SloopJohnB

Post by SloopJohnB » Wed 17 May, 2017 8:16 pm

Have sent you my contact details. Hope I can help.

HertfordWino

Post by HertfordWino » Thu 29 Jun, 2017 7:47 am

Thank you for all your comments on the forum and your advice. The Wine Shop is now open in Maidenhead Street. We are part of a French buying
group enabling us to have access to many of the best family-owned single-estate vineyards at competitive prices. As we import all of our own wines directly we are able to reduce the cost by cutting out a middleman supplier but we remain fully independent. As well as wine we will stock a selection of spirits and craft beer. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the local wine offering in Hertford and look forward to serving you.

Footfruit

Post by Footfruit » Fri 30 Jun, 2017 10:19 am

Wishing you much success, HertfordWino!

Katsura Shade

Post by Katsura Shade » Sat 29 Jul, 2017 11:30 pm

Loving the new shop HertfordWino, loads of our friends have been talking about it. Love the addition of a few beers you can't get in the major supermarkets too. The Signature Roadie is a great beer. Looking forward to even
more of a selection in the future. Good luck with everything.

mistlethrush

Post by mistlethrush » Mon 07 Aug, 2017 5:42 pm

I enjoyed popping in for a brief chat on Saturday on the way to the Hertford Brew Club summer picnic, and enjoyed the beers we bought later that afternoon. We'll be back in for a proper look at the wines soon as well. It's a welcome addition to the town in my opinion.