New Wine Shop

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Darcy Sarto
Re: New Wine Shop

Post by Darcy Sarto » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 6:31 am

Do you/will you stock Banyuls? Can't get it here other than stupidly expensively on tinterweb.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Tue 08 Aug, 2017 11:33 pm

Surely that stuff is just for the rich capitalist pigs ?

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Thu 10 Aug, 2017 6:16 am

Hardly - it's like a cheap version of port. Available in French supermarkets for less than the cost of many a bottle of wine. I suppose duty make its import impractical as it becomes just as expensive as its supposedly superior Portuguese rival.....

HertfordWino

Post by HertfordWino » Tue 15 Aug, 2017 5:26 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:Hardly - it's like a cheap version of port. Available in French supermarkets for less than the cost of many a bottle of wine. I suppose duty make its import impractical as it becomes just as expensive as its supposedly superior Portuguese rival.....
We currently don't stock this at present but can certainly get it in for you on one of our regular shipments from the continent. As a fortified wine it will attract a higher rate of import duty so I am not sure that we would be much difference on price from that on the internet, you may save on any additional UK delivery costs though. If you are interested could you PM me your contact details and I can let you know a price.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sun 27 Aug, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks for the offer but I can get a reasonable supply at French prices and, as you say, it's the duty that makes it uneconomical to import commercially. It's nice but not nice enough to pay that much..... :D