Post Office Moving To Maidenhead Street

News and views on shopping in the county town.
Steve
Project Leader
Post Office Moving To Maidenhead Street

Post by Steve » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 4:18 pm

The Post Office are currently holding a consultation on proposals to move the town's post office to the old McDonalds building in Maidenhead Street

https://www.postofficeviews.co.uk/branc ... SG14%201AA

SloopJohnB

Re: Post Office Moving To Maidenhead Street

Post by SloopJohnB » Tue 08 Sep, 2015 4:38 pm

Will everything now have to go by pigeon post? ;) ;)

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 9:51 am

Reading the letter (pdf) (and having watching the recent programs on BBC2 about it! - would recommend), it's not just about "moving the post office" to the old McDonald's building it's about closing down the post office and repalcing in with a counter in a new third-party stationary shop.

From the letter:

"Universal Office Equipment UK Ltd"
"appointment of the new operator"
"Selected Post Office services will also be available at the retail counter during shop opening hours"

I think the letter/consultation is a bit disingenuous as it mostly talks about the new location and refurbishment and if you scan read it you wouldn't necessary understand what it was truly saying.

I'm not saying whether this is good or bad (yet!), but thought I should point out what they are actually proposing.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 1:23 pm

The existing Post Office is already run by a franchisee - they're just switching to a new one and updating the format (as well as relocating, of course).

I imagine the new PO would be something like the one in the Westgate Centre in Stevenage.

Personally I don't see an issue with the letter - it seems perfectly transparent to me.

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Wed 09 Sep, 2015 3:38 pm

They already have one operating in Potters Bar.
http://www.uoe.co.uk/uoe-thinking/artic ... l-division

xnetco

Post by xnetco » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 4:48 pm

I think this is a really good idea. It seems to make sense combining the post office with another similar business and putting it in private hands should mean more consistent customer service. Also one of the directors of UOE lives in Hertford so hopefully they'll take special interest in this one.

The BBC program also snippets from Hertford too. Maybe this has been in the planning a while.

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 10:28 pm

I don't suppose the UOE director uses the name XNETCO does he/she ?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 2:20 am

Smudger wrote:I don't suppose the UOE director uses the name XNETCO does he/she ?
They're based in Devon

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 2:24 am

xnetco wrote:I think this is a really good idea. It seems to make sense combining the post office with another similar business and putting it in private hands should mean more consistent customer service. Also one of the directors of UOE lives in Hertford so hopefully they'll take special interest in this one.

The BBC program also snippets from Hertford too. Maybe this has been in the planning a while.
The company only has one registered director - Elliot Jacobs

xnetco

Post by xnetco » Tue 15 Sep, 2015 8:40 am

Steve wrote:
xnetco wrote:I think this is a really good idea. It seems to make sense combining the post office with another similar business and putting it in private hands should mean more consistent customer service. Also one of the directors of UOE lives in Hertford so hopefully they'll take special interest in this one.

The company only has one registered director - Elliot Jacobs
I guess he's a sudo director then.