Bircherley Green Redevelopment

News and views on shopping in the county town.
bubbaoshea
Re: Bircherley Green Redevelopment

Post by bubbaoshea » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 10:42 am

What's the betting on either Aldi or Lidl replacing Waitrose in Hertford?

wardclan

Post by wardclan » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 9:37 pm

lidl will jump at the chance I am sure and although I do shop in lidl from time to time [and believe me folks they do have some cracking produce] not sure hertford is the place, in fact I don't want a supermarket in the town full stop we have enough of em, redevelop but not on the back of a supermarket. To say hertford needs an anchor foodstore is bollocks we have the bars, nice little boutiques all we need is a sprinkling of high st shops and BOOM you have the mix :D

Robbo

Post by Robbo » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 11:17 am

Now confirmed, Waitrose are out :cry:

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/W ... story.html" target="_blank

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 06 Nov, 2014 11:24 am

As expected Waitrose have confirmed they are on their way.
A spokesman said: “Sadly, our Hertford store does not allow us to compete effectively with newer supermarkets in Hertford and Ware. “It is unfortunately very outdated, small and has poor parking facilities. http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/W ... z3IHZ07wbQ" target="_blank

Personally I'll miss it but there are other shops available but its the quality of some of the produce especially on the deli/meat counters that will be hard to find. The problem for the developer is now attracting another big name to the site or making the decision to go a bit more independent with smaller units but I really can't see that working. The dilemna means that Hertford residents may face a ghost town in that area with empty shops (who's going to stay except maybe boots and Starbucks if Waitrose goes?) as I can't see the owners making a huge investment in the area without a big name store to get the footfall.

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Fri 07 Nov, 2014 2:27 pm

I am sure that M&S would prefer a more central location. I don't currently use it as I would have to walk past Waitrose however once they are gone perhaps they will move in. Its sad but I will therefore just order online.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 07 Nov, 2014 2:35 pm

A shame we can't attract Booths a bit further south.

bubbaoshea

Post by bubbaoshea » Fri 07 Nov, 2014 6:21 pm

Real shame that Waitrose is leaving the town, M&S taking the space would be great but I cannot see that happening.

Where does that leave the new development? A unit of that size will be hard to fill if the old McDonalds site is anything to go by.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 17 Nov, 2014 4:23 pm

Interesting that the statement from Waitrose featured in The Mercury appears to fly in the face of what Waitrose MD Mark Price said in The Telegraph yesterday:

"The Waitrose boss said that British supermarkets would have to reinvent themselves in order to survive a shift in spending from out-of-town stores to convenience shops"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/1123 ... -boss.html" target="_blank

In the light of his comments, why would Waitrose close a convenient town centre store for an out-of-town one?

Personally I have a suspicion that it's not quite as cut-and-dried as The Mercury (and Waitrose) might have us believe.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 01 Dec, 2014 8:43 pm

Looks like Waitrose Great Amwell might have a problem ...

http://online.eastherts.gov.uk/moderngo ... P%20TH.pdf" target="_blank

"Recommended for refusal"

No.1 reason - Green Belt.

"The proposal is contrary to the National Planning Policy Framework, the Local Plan 2007 and the intended direction of the emerging District Plan."

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue 02 Dec, 2014 4:38 am

So they might have made themselves homeless then?