Sunday Xmas shopping event

News and views on shopping in the county town.
james
Re: Sunday Xmas shopping event

Post by james » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 10:24 pm

Dillinquent wrote: And parking
*sigh*

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 11:21 pm

Steve wrote:I think we're in danger here of veering off-topic. The future and sustainability of town centres is a separate discussion to the wisdom, success or otherwise of Sunday's shopping event. :)
You mean like in the 'Phones 4u thread.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 9:29 am

james wrote:
Dillinquent wrote: And parking
*sigh*
I live 40 minutes walk from the town centre and Public transport is too expensive, too unreliable and still a fair walk from my house (when loaded with shopping, this becomes an issue). You can sigh all you want but the car is the only realistic option for me and others in my position.

james

Post by james » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 12:36 pm

And that's fine. All I'm asking is for people to walk from the car park to the shops. A bit like what people do at out of town shopping centres that we all love.

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 3:44 pm

But there are no shops to walk to now. As you said in your earlier post town centers are now for leisure activities not shopping. So unless you are into partaking of a cappamocafrappchinoexpress whilst waiting to have your hair and nails javazzled in preparation for a night out at one of the many,many bars/clubs there is nothing for people in the town.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 4:16 pm

Time to dust off the pitchforks and flaming torches again. How dare Ware be better than us at something!

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 4:54 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:Time to dust off the pitchforks and flaming torches again. How dare Ware be better than us at something!
We could just congratulate them and follow their example :)

2929paul

Post by 2929paul » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 6:14 pm

gemipicorn wrote:But there are no shops to walk to now. As you said in your earlier post town centers are now for leisure activities not shopping. So unless you are into partaking of a cappamocafrappchinoexpress whilst waiting to have your hair and nails javazzled in preparation for a night out at one of the many,many bars/clubs there is nothing for people in the town.
I refer you to this page on this very website:

http://www.hertford.net/shopping/

Now I know it depends what you're shopping for but but you can actually find quite a bit in Hertford if you take a moment to think about it. I don't drive but live within 20 minutes walk of most of the main shops in Hertford, stretching out to Matalan and Wickes. Walking everywhere makes you appreciate the coffee shops all the more.

Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose, Boots, Superdrug, Matalan, Wickes, WH Smiths, 3 x Jewellers, Antiques shops, Poundstretcher, markets, farm shop, pet shop, lingerie, Accesorize, EWM, The Womens Society, Loullebelle and a couple of other shops for the ladies of Hertford, a few trendy menswear shops, Monsoon, Specsavers, Picture framers, sweet shops, Guitar Studio, Halfords, Holland and Barrett, East Herts Electrical, Albany, the Ruby Room place, antique shops, Botsfords, Inter Sport, charity shops, card shops, vintage shops, print shops.

Now if these places can't supply what you want, then fair enough but it's a bit unfair to say there's nothing in Hertford except hair, nail and beauty salons, coffee shops and eateries.

gemipicorn

Post by gemipicorn » Wed 11 Dec, 2013 6:52 pm

2929paul wrote:
gemipicorn wrote:But there are no shops to walk to now. As you said in your earlier post town centers are now for leisure activities not shopping. So unless you are into partaking of a cappamocafrappchinoexpress whilst waiting to have your hair and nails javazzled in preparation for a night out at one of the many,many bars/clubs there is nothing for people in the town.
I refer you to this page on this very website:

http://www.hertford.net/shopping/

Now I know it depends what you're shopping for but but you can actually find quite a bit in Hertford if you take a moment to think about it. I don't drive but live within 20 minutes walk of most of the main shops in Hertford, stretching out to Matalan and Wickes. Walking everywhere makes you appreciate the coffee shops all the more.

Sainsbury's, Tesco, Waitrose, Boots, Superdrug, Matalan, Wickes, WH Smiths, 3 x Jewellers, Antiques shops, Poundstretcher, markets, farm shop, pet shop, lingerie, Accesorize, EWM, The Womens Society, Loullebelle and a couple of other shops for the ladies of Hertford, a few trendy menswear shops, Monsoon, Specsavers, Picture framers, sweet shops, Guitar Studio, Halfords, Holland and Barrett, East Herts Electrical, Albany, the Ruby Room place, antique shops, Botsfords, Inter Sport, charity shops, card shops, vintage shops, print shops.

Now if these places can't supply what you want, then fair enough but it's a bit unfair to say there's nothing in Hertford except hair, nail and beauty salons, coffee shops and eateries.
All I can tell you is that I am an ordinary wife and mum with normal shopping needs and other than the supermarkets for groceries etc I have not been able to get anything in the town for a long time, and yes I do think about it before I shop, I would much rather shop locally than have to use up time and petrol going further afield.

Off topic I know admin so I shall shut up now

McHardy24

Post by McHardy24 » Thu 12 Dec, 2013 2:00 pm

What shopping event? was there something happening in Town on Sunday (assume there must have been otherwise I wouldn't be reading the posts!)

I didn't see any posters/flyers for it? Who organised it - was it part of the small business weekend?