Will Tesco moving affect Hertford?

What do you think about the quality and pace of housing development in Hertford?
MultiDad
Will Tesco moving affect Hertford?

Post by MultiDad » Thu 08 Jan, 2015 3:35 pm

someone suggested to me that Tesco closing it's Cheshunt head office and moving staff to WGC will mean that some staff will relocate to Hertford and surrounding villages. Therefore having an impact on already stretched skools etc. they then suggested that Welwyn itself and also Hatfield aren't that attractive due to the vast swathes of ex and current social housing in those towns. Not saying I agree but it's going to cause some changes here. thoughts anyone?

codek2

Re: Will Tesco moving affect Hertford?

Post by codek2 » Thu 08 Jan, 2015 8:15 pm

I can't personally see that happening. Cheshunt isnt exactly far, and one of the reasons they are moving to WGC is so that staff can move without having to relocate. Their offices may be big for any one company but compared to the total available office space in WGC and HAT it's not going to make much difference. Well thats my view.

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 08 Jan, 2015 9:14 pm

I'd guessed they may be moving to WGC but has anybody actually confirmed this? The new build adjacent to some of their existing offices seems to be a good fit and brings them all closer together - to be honest its good they're staying in Herts. I don't think it will make much difference in fact the reverse may be true as they currently put up a number of their workers in the Mead/Mill Lane flats as this is a good connection to Cheshunt but obviously is no good for WGC. Cheshunt is a pain to get to in the mornings by road and WGC will be much easier, much more parking - and for those that need to there is a much better rail connection into London/North so to me it makes much better sense. House prices are still expensive so I can't see many making the move unless they have to.

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 5:18 am

They are moving to Welwyn Garden...
http://www.whtimes.co.uk/news/tesco_to_ ... _1_3909222" target="_blank

codek2

Post by codek2 » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 9:13 am

yes, they are moving to WGC, but downsizing - so some at cheshunt will be made redundant.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 1:19 pm

According to my info, they already own a good chunk of WGC, including several offices on the newish estate in the Mundells/Bessemer Rd area. Also the vacant plot on the crossroads where the Argos warehouse used to be is theirs. They additionally own numerous residential properties in the town for key staff housing.

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Sat 10 Jan, 2015 1:51 pm

"stretched skools".

shevans

Post by shevans » Sat 10 Jan, 2015 2:01 pm

leo densian wrote:According to my info, they already own a good chunk of WGC, including several offices on the newish estate in the Mundells/Bessemer Rd area. Also the vacant plot on the crossroads where the Argos warehouse used to be is theirs. They additionally own numerous residential properties in the town for key staff housing.
Pretty much the same info I have from a member of managment based at Cheshunt, I see him most days and talking about all the projects that have now been canned.