Maidenhead Street

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
jbond
Maidenhead Street

Post by jbond » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 6:24 am

Heads up. Maidenhead St, Bulls Pain, The Wash improvements due to start 19 Sept.

https://twitter.com/JanGoodeve/status/1 ... 8267378689
https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/HUDS

Golden

Re: Maidenhead Street

Post by Golden » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 12:29 pm

Are we going to get a podium down there to view the flying pigs too? If its left open then people will use it all day long and from either end as they are at the moment - the only way to stop it would be to put barriers up as before. The loss of so many parking spaces is shocking - people need short term parking and the issues are only at certain times of the day - bizarrely when they want short term parking :)

"Reversal of the one way on Maidenhead Street with no right turn at the end of The Wash (to dissuade unauthorised access to Maidenhead St from The Wash)." I get the reversal although it will cause other problems (see below) but what is happening at the Wash end? If its no entry then what difference is a no right turn sign going to make? I think this is meant to mean that you can't use MS to turn right into The Wash but this isn't how it reads to me.

I welcome some change to the area but feel this isn't what's required, why have it open in the evenings at all? All you will encourage is the people that illegally park down there, given the change of direction it will become a rat run for cars and cabs exiting the town in the evenings.

How many years did it take to come up with this??

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 8:48 am

This leaflet might help explain how the layout will work https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/media/3308 ... eaflet.pdf . Having looked at it again I do agree with you that it seems no-one has taken account of the possibility of the road becoming a rat-run of an evening or, at the weekend, an overnight car park - neither would be very good for traders/residents. Unless I've missed it I cannot find a RTO forbidding parking or drive through outside the pedestrian hours.

monkeyman1974

Post by monkeyman1974 » Sun 09 Sep, 2018 7:23 am

Looks good, and should work well with enhancements to the theatre etc.

10am-5.30pm feels too limited a time, especially the 5.30pm, when there may well be conflict between people and cars.

Poundstretcher won't be happy; suspect it's front of house will be even more of a temporary warehouse; no doubt with the palettes damaging the newly paid paving

VC10

Post by VC10 » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 12:00 pm

Are the council determined to kill town centre trade? Apart from removing all of those parking spaces in Bull Plain I see the strategy is also going to remove short term parking in Bell Lane and Church St (either side of the Salisbury) These are spaces that I often use if I want to pop into Hertford for a short time. I wouldn't bother to find a parking space in the multi story or Hartham Lane for just half an hour I'd just go off and shop somewhere else. It seems to me that this has been drawn up by people living in cloud cuckoo land, how can we stop this madness?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:18 pm

VC10 wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 12:00 pm
Are the council determined to kill town centre trade? Apart from removing all of those parking spaces in Bull Plain I see the strategy is also going to remove short term parking in Bell Lane and Church St (either side of the Salisbury) These are spaces that I often use if I want to pop into Hertford for a short time. I wouldn't bother to find a parking space in the multi story or Hartham Lane for just half an hour I'd just go off and shop somewhere else. It seems to me that this has been drawn up by people living in cloud cuckoo land, how can we stop this madness?
I don't see any mention of removing spaces in Bell Lane and Church Street.

The removal of spaces in Bull Plain is more about removing traffic. This is traffic that comes in to Bull Plain looking for parking spaces, typically finds none and then has to do a three-point turn and exit. This represents the majority of traffic movement in Bull Plain, and therefore most of the pedestrian/vehicle conflict.

VC10

Post by VC10 » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 5:54 pm

Steve
I was referring to the East Herts Hertford Urban design Strategy (HUDS) of which the Maidenhead St scheme is the first part. Do you know if the council is going to be proceeding with the other parts of the strategy?

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 7:27 pm

I presume you refer to https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/media/3041 ... OW_RES.pdf para 2.3.9 which is an aspiration and includes a complete change to traffic flow? Don't know if it is next on the agenda but I am sure HCC Highways would have a comment - but then again possibly not!

jasmine98

Post by jasmine98 » Sat 03 Nov, 2018 12:35 pm

Interesting to see Maidenhead Street today and the ongoing 'improvements'. All the old paving being removed and looks as though it is being scrapped. New pretty grey paving being laid but can someone tell me how this is an improvement, just seems creating havoc and wasting money. Engine running on an excavator, not being used but spewing out lots of foul diesel fumes. Can someone tell me exactly how all this long drawn out work will enhance the street and surrounding area, all I can see is that it will reduce car parking and discourage even more shoppers from visiting Hertford.

TcfL

Post by TcfL » Sat 03 Nov, 2018 3:08 pm

You will find the overall picture in my post of 16 Sep and this EHDC link https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/HUDS provides further detail.