Bridge House Car Park to Close

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
JohnSmith
Bridge House Car Park to Close

Post by JohnSmith » Wed 09 Nov, 2016 8:43 pm

http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/c ... story.html

Closes at the end of December. My guess is that footpath on the east side of North Road between the B1000 and Bramfield Road will become something of a no go zone from December.

Heaven knows where the parents dropping off and picking up kids from St Joseph's will park.

Kateg28

Re: Bridge House Car Park to Close

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 10 Nov, 2016 9:06 am

Normally I would berate them for being too tight to pay for parking but clearly they already do and even if they wanted to park in the station car park, there is simply not enough room.
Parking on the pavement will cause hazards to pedestrians and causes traffic issues on the road and this is irrespective of the St Joseph's school run.

I think we shall see Parking restrictions on North Road which will leave commuters with nowhere to go.

james

Post by james » Thu 10 Nov, 2016 12:00 pm

Meanwhile, in a civilised country...
http://nltimes.nl/2016/11/01/dutch-trai ... w-parkings

muddy

Post by muddy » Sun 13 Nov, 2016 12:13 pm

Is it really necessary for so many Hertford North patrons to drive to the station at all? When I commuted to London, I used to walk 20 minutes there & back daily - yes it's a pain when the weather is bad, but it's great exercise & only takes 20 mins!

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Mon 14 Nov, 2016 3:26 pm

Considering the size of the town, and the limited roads, they should do far more to encourage walking generally (not just to the station). The general state of the walking provision is dreadful (too narrow, uneven, blocked (or partially blocked) by parked cars, partially blocked by overgrown hedges or tree branches, covered in slippery leaves, very few crossings, fast cars (often speeding cars) very close by, very poor lighting). It would be nice if this spurred on some sort of plan to encourage people to walk where possible, but sadly it's probably more likely to simply see even more inconvenience for pedestrians. Similarly I'm not holding my breath for the "encouragement of sustainable transport measures" referred to in the district plan - it would be nice if this included a pavement that was more than 50 cm wide on the (busy and fast) Port Hill/Bengeo Street.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 15 Nov, 2016 9:23 am

muddy wrote:Is it really necessary for so many Hertford North patrons to drive to the station at all? When I commuted to London, I used to walk 20 minutes there & back daily - yes it's a pain when the weather is bad, but it's great exercise & only takes 20 mins!
And it is uphill on the way home! Uphill in cold sleet is really no fun whatsoever and I have been known to shout for a bus when it all gets too much :oops:
(I get a lift in the morning but his hours and commitments mean he can only pick me up one evening a week)

To be fair if you watch, a lot of the commuters do walk but some people live out in the villages and that is a bit too far. Remember that Stapleford, Waterford, Hertford Heath and then all the towns up the A10 to Buntingford and beyond have no station so they have no choice but to drive to Hertford/Ware etc.