Parking on the pavements

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
highwood38
Parking on the pavements

Post by highwood38 » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 10:47 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34988833
Interesting article in BBC News about parking on the pavements. Personally I think it's pretty dangerous to block the whole of the pavement as is the case with lots of the parking in most of lower Bengeo. A few times at night recently I've seen people having to walk in the road on Nelson Street (and I often have to walk in the road on Byde Street as people seem to be completely blocking the pavement there more recently). Anyone have any views?

Steve
Project Leader

Re: Parking on the pavements

Post by Steve » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 11:10 am

Isn't completely blocking the pavement already illegal (obstruction)?

I agree that pavement parking is antisocial and should be outlawed. However, it requires the enforcing agencies to take it seriously.

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Fri 04 Dec, 2015 12:10 pm

I think this is the relevant legislation re obstruction (Highways Act 1980):

137.— Penalty for wilful obstruction.
(1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding [level 3 on the standard scale ] 1.

I suspect nothing will change (with the current law) unless there is an accident. Though I'm also surprised there's not more accidents on Beane Road, where people walk in the road in the dark and the cars go quite fast... I wasn't convinced by the council's argument not to impose the 20mph limit there (what does "The environment along Beane Road is also not conducive to a 20 mph limit." mean?) though that's a bit off topic.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 7:05 am

It is not (in most of the U.K. Outside of London) illegal to park on the pavement unless causing an obstruction. It is, however, illegal to drive on the pavement which begs the question - how did all these cars get parked on the pavement without committing an offence? :?:

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sat 05 Dec, 2015 1:32 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:It is not (in most of the U.K. Outside of London) illegal to park on the pavement unless causing an obstruction. It is, however, illegal to drive on the pavement which begs the question - how did all these cars get parked on the pavement without committing an offence? :?:
This is what the link in my original post was about. A bill is currently going through Parliament to make it illegal.

Joby

Post by Joby » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:05 am

Steve wrote:
Darcy Sarto wrote:It is not (in most of the U.K. Outside of London) illegal to park on the pavement unless causing an obstruction. It is, however, illegal to drive on the pavement which begs the question - how did all these cars get parked on the pavement without committing an offence? :?:
This is what the link in my original post was about. A bill is currently going through Parliament to make it illegal.
The bill was debated in parliament last week, but was kicked firmly into the long grass :-(

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 9:16 am

I don't have a problem with pavement parking per se however I have a major problem with inconsiderate/anti social parking and the parking in Nelson Street is most definitely inconsiderate.

I used to visit a friend who lived there and I used to get myself stressed about visiting because of the parking (and I lived in a village outside Ware at the time so a car was essential).

I would never buy a house there because of the parking situation. We have three cars (I am a petrol head so love cars) and can park all of ours off road on our land, it was a stipulation on the house we bought.

highwood38

Post by highwood38 » Mon 07 Dec, 2015 4:46 pm

I think the long grass is probably a fair description - this is the Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Transport (Mr Robert Goodwill) in the debate on Friday:

"As I explained at the outset, we share my hon. Friend’s concern for the safety and free movement of pedestrians. Improving access for disabled people is a key priority for my Department. Although the Government cannot support the Bill, I know that the Under-Secretary of State for Transport, my hon. Friend the Member for Harrogate and Knaresborough (Andrew Jones), has agreed to convene a round table next year to discuss footway parking issues, and has also agreed that the Department should undertake some work to examine more closely the legal and financial implications of an alternative regime, and the likely impacts on local authorities. I cannot commit myself to any further action without a firm evidence base and the collective agreement of my ministerial colleagues, including those in the Department for Communities and Local Government. Nevertheless, I hope that, on the basis of what I have said, my hon. Friend will feel able to withdraw his Bill."

The parking in lower Bengeo is worse than anywhere I've ever lived before in that it's quite usual to completely block the pavement around here (or maybe it's just I have to push a buggy now so can't fit through such small gaps any more...)

Smudger

Post by Smudger » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 12:39 am

People who park on the pavements in residential areas are generally the people who live there.
Where else are they supposed to park ?
Many of these streets are victorian, an age long before cars, so weren't designed for the 21st century.

It would be devastating if pavement parking laws were enforced.
But if the council were able to, you know they would, as it would generate a fortune in parking fines

Joby

Post by Joby » Wed 09 Dec, 2015 12:31 pm

Smudger wrote:People who park on the pavements in residential areas are generally the people who live there.
Many of these streets are victorian, an age long before cars, so weren't designed for the 21st century.
True, but there's a big difference between "wheels just on the kerb" and "blocking the entire pathway". There's no excuse for the latter, especially when it forces people to walk in the road.
Smudger wrote: Where else are they supposed to park ?
Legally and considerately elsewhere?