Inconsiderate cycling on the footways.

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Golden
Re: Inconsiderate cycling on the footways.

Post by Golden » Thu 11 Jun, 2015 2:33 pm

There is really no excuse for riding on the footpaths in the town centre as its normally as safe as riding on the roads; the only exception being the short bit of path in front of Bluecoats where it would be a good idea to dig up the piece of normally overgrown grass and install a cycle lane linking Mill Road to Fore St. and vice versa to keep the users apart. Inconsiderate pedestrians (with or without dog), skateboarders and motorists are a pain whatever mode of transport you happen to be taking at that particular time!

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Thu 11 Jun, 2015 5:18 pm

Do BMW do bicycles? :D

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 11 Jun, 2015 5:58 pm

Don't know but on a recent cycle through Hertford I did get the opportunity to shout at a female BMW driver who was so busy texting that she nearly ran me off the road - but was it the car's fault or the gender of the driver?

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Thu 11 Jun, 2015 9:11 pm

A heirarchichal paradox of stereotypes? :lol:

Golden

Post by Golden » Thu 11 Jun, 2015 9:15 pm

Just fishing.

Mardvagen

Post by Mardvagen » Fri 26 Jun, 2015 1:29 pm

The problem is most people don't seem to realise that they are actually not permitted to ride on footway (pavement). Apart from Gascoyne Way I can't see why anyone would need to cycle on the footway at all (young children excepted). I've had cyclists shout at me to get out of the way whilst out with very young children so they zip past me on the pavement (next to relatively empty road). Sorry, but if you're not man (or woman) enough to ride a bike on the road in Hertford then you're probably not good enough to ride at all.

james

Post by james » Fri 26 Jun, 2015 2:03 pm

Mardvagen wrote:Sorry, but if you're not man (or woman) enough to ride a bike on the road in Hertford then you're probably not good enough to ride at all.
Well done for identifying the problem. Cycling shouldn't just be for hard men. If roads are only being designed for car users, don't be surprised if you find people riding bikes where they feel safer.

Mardvagen

Post by Mardvagen » Fri 26 Jun, 2015 2:23 pm

Ok, so I'll take the gender bias out of a commonly used phrase as you don't understand it. Here is my point in simple language

Some people in Hertford ride on the footway (pavement) when it is prohibited to do so (children are excepted under Police guidance).
Apart from Gascoyne Way Hertford is not a very dangerous place to cycle (go to any big city or urban conurbation and compare).
If they feel they have to ride on the footway because they think the roads are unsafe, maybe they should question their cycling ability & confidence.
Shouting at people with small children to get out the way so they zip past on their bike when the road is perfectly safe to cycle on it not acceptable.

There, a lot clearer now.

james

Post by james » Fri 26 Jun, 2015 4:24 pm

Mardvagen wrote:Ok, so I'll take the gender bias out of a commonly used phrase as you don't understand it. Here is my point in simple language
I wasn't really looking for a fight, but since you're so keen, here goes...
Mardvagen wrote:Some people in Hertford ride on the footway (pavement) when it is prohibited to do so (children are excepted under Police guidance).
It's illegal to ride on the pavement for everyone, but children are only "allowed" to since they're below the age of criminal responsibility. In addition to this, the official line from the Department for Transport (DfT) is that cyclists may ride on the footway – more commonly referred to as pavements – provided they do so considerately, and that police officers need to exercise discretion.
Mardvagen wrote:Apart from Gascoyne Way Hertford is not a very dangerous place to cycle (go to any big city or urban conurbation and compare). If they feel they have to ride on the footway because they think the roads are unsafe, maybe they should question their cycling ability & confidence.
My whole argument has been about perceived danger. You've clearly never experienced motorists deliberately swerving as close as possible to you on an overtake on a country lane, or being beeped at up Port Hill, or had half a can of Red Bull thrown at you from a passenger window, or been told to "F**k off onto the pavement, you c**t" when it's the car that's failed to give way on Fore Street, or a delivery van squeezing past you on a narrow road with two rows of parked cars on either side only to stop 100 metres down the road and have the driver door open on you, or (my favourite) a pot smoking driver shout you "F**king Be**end" at you because you STOPPED at a red light on St. Andrew St.
Mardvagen wrote:Shouting at people with small children to get out the way so they zip past on their bike when the road is perfectly safe to cycle on it not acceptable
You're right. It's not acceptable. But one incident of this behaviour isn't typical behaviour of cyclists in general. Meanwhile motorists speeding, parking dangerously, using mobiles at the wheel, drink/drug driving, running red lights and generally being aggressive is something I see on a typical bike ride.
Mardvagen wrote:There, a lot clearer now.
Just as clear the first time round, but more patronising.

dutch knight

Post by dutch knight » Fri 26 Jun, 2015 6:45 pm

Strangely enough,I find cycling along Gascoigne Way less dangerous than cycling through town. Most of the traffic is just going straight through and there are no pedestrians just stepping out in front of you. There are a lot more hazards going through town than along Gascoigne Way.