20 MPH zone West of Bengeo Street.

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Marilyn
20 MPH zone West of Bengeo Street.

Post by Marilyn » Thu 21 May, 2015 9:51 am

Had a letter today from the CC to say there is a proposed 20 MPH limit for all the roads on the west side of Bengeo Street/ Port Hill from the Beane Road/Millmead Way junction up through to The Wick/Sacombe Road.

Good idea to slow down the commuters that still come in at The Avenue, but how will the powers that be enforce it?

Golden

Re: 20 MPH zone West of Bengeo Street.

Post by Golden » Thu 21 May, 2015 10:46 am

I don't think they can enforce it Marilyn as I believe the lowest legal enforceable limit is 30mph. Its more aspirational then enforceable and many areas are now using this alongside traffic management to slow cars down in residential areas. I personally think that if drivers were experienced enough and drove to the road conditions and road environment then it wouldn't be necessary and on many of the roads you mention 20 is probably a reasonable speed. Having said all that in my opinion its appears to be a waste of money and I would like to know what evidence of speeding or dangerous driving there is for the council to spend money on this scheme?

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 21 May, 2015 11:33 am

i believe the law changed relatively recently on this matter - it was changed to make it easier to bring in lower or different speed limits.
previously to get a 20mph through meant a lot of wrangling - now the local council can do it.
Probably others know the detail of this change and when it came in! I only know as it came up at a parish council meeting.

Joby

Post by Joby » Thu 21 May, 2015 2:28 pm

Golden wrote:I personally think that if drivers were experienced enough and drove to the road conditions and road environment then it wouldn't be necessary
Yes, but that's exactly the problem isn't it?

I think this is a good move. It may not actually get drivers pootling along at 20mph, but it will certainly result in a lower average speed. It's an important step towards reclaiming life in residential streets from the domination of motor vehicles.

james

Post by james » Thu 21 May, 2015 2:39 pm

The rationale for 20mph
http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/ration ... 20_mph.htm

In my opinion, a 20mph area for Bengeo doesn't go far enough. Every road in Hertford, with the exception of the A414, should be 20mph.

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 21 May, 2015 2:52 pm

why not include the 414. then it would discourage those driving through the town and using it as a shortcut. no bypass needed then, mwahahah.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Thu 21 May, 2015 2:59 pm

Golden wrote:I don't think they can enforce it Marilyn as I believe the lowest legal enforceable limit is 30mph?
No it isn't. I have had the pleasure of a speed awareness course for careering over Tower Bridge at 27mph. :(

codek2

Post by codek2 » Thu 21 May, 2015 3:01 pm

Outrageous!

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 21 May, 2015 3:18 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:
Golden wrote:I don't think they can enforce it Marilyn as I believe the lowest legal enforceable limit is 30mph?
No it isn't. I have had the pleasure of a speed awareness course for careering over Tower Bridge at 27mph. :(
You monster. Children could have been killed to death.

I detest it when people say "Speed kills" because quite frankly it doesn't otherwise we would all die every time we went in aeroplanes. Inappropriate use of speed kills and this is more important to address. Doing 80mph on a clear dry empty motorway is safer than doing 25mph outside a primary school at kicking out time yet only one of those is illegal, the other is desperately dangerous and stupid but legal.

I actually broadly agree with a 20mph town limit although it is more difficult to drive steadily at that speed as my cruise control doesn't work below 30mph - first world problems! Problem is that when I travel through town at stupid o'clock on a Saturday morning, there aren't many people around and doing 20mph along the A414 would send me bonkers.

theadmans

Post by theadmans » Thu 21 May, 2015 4:04 pm

Good idea IMHO.

Only this lunchtime I was nearly mowed down by a BMW doing around 40 - 50 mph in Duncombe Road !

What is it with BMW's and breaking the speed limit ?

On a different topic has anyone else noticed how on motorway slip roads joining the carriageway - BMW drivers nearly always try to go from the slip road to the fast lane in the shortest possible distance (regardless of what other cars are in their way) ? :? :? :?