Driveway

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
Miggi03
Driveway

Post by Miggi03 » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 12:03 pm

Hi all.

Recently a few inconsiderate people have been blocking access to my driveway. The odd 5-10 minutes don't bother me but someone left it there right across it for hours last night and it was gone at 5am when I woke. Does anyone have a clue who to contact when this happens? I don't recognise the cars doing it.

Legal dipped curb in case anyone's wondering.

Thanks for any advice.

Ewoowar

Re: Driveway

Post by Ewoowar » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 3:50 pm

If it is the same person why not leave a polite note for them asking not to do it again.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 6:06 pm

It is illegal to block entry to the highway (but not illegal to block entry to your property, oddly) and I would find it irritating in the extreme.

I would be tempted to tow the offending car to somewhere really inappropriate (eg the middle of the road) and let the authorities deal with it but that is probably illegal and immoral albeit vaguely entertaining

Miggi03

Post by Miggi03 » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 9:24 pm

Tempting. Though my shopping car barely moves itself.

I will contact the council see what can be done.

Trouble is a notes only good if I don't need to get on or off my drive in an emergency. In fact it doesn't need to be an emergency it's my driveway. I'll post back here on the council's stance on blocking access be it on or off.

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Wed 17 Dec, 2014 11:48 pm

I'd go up the note on the windscreen route . Probably attaching it with wallpaper paste.

mdja

Post by mdja » Thu 18 Dec, 2014 5:57 pm

There is an old 'DVLA' branded wheelclamp left abandoned at the top of Nelson Street. No idea why. But you could 'borrow' it and clamp the car in question... Just a thought, not condoning such behaviour of course :D

highwayman

Post by highwayman » Fri 23 Jan, 2015 9:44 pm

I don't think you'll get very far with 'I will contact the council see what can be done.' Unless there are yellow lines there that are being ignored.

Obstruction is a police matter. And good luck with getting that enforced - you only need to look at how pavement parking goes completely unchallenged. Then there's parking on grass verges and in disabled bays.... Oh dear - time for my medication.

Good article here about this scourge of most built-up areas: https://www.transportxtra.com/magazines ... /?ID=39677