Old Cross Closed

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
buzz
Re: Old Cross Closed

Post by buzz » Tue 12 Aug, 2014 5:06 pm

Kateg28 wrote:Darcy Sarto wrote:
Notwithstanding the current issues at the Old Cross which are acute and temporary I'm afraid I'm in the camp that feels the "Rat Run" should be blocked permanently (emergency services only gate) in the middle (probably halfway up Byde Street) to eliminate all this nonsense. My commute is through the Old Cross and when there isn't something exceptional like a sinkhole or temporary traffic management going on the "delay" from Bengeo Street to Gascoyne Way has never been more than 10 - 12 minutes in 15+years.

If you want to gain the 10 -12 minutes you should get up 15 minutes earlier and not put people and property at risk for a selfish short cut!
Your delay of 10-12 minutes is probably that short due to the number of motorists using the so-called "rat run", thus allieviating a long queue for you. As for not putting people and property at risk, do you not consider that the selfish parking of cars in that area contributes more to the safety issue than vehicles using the road for what it was intended for? (Yes, I know, risk of resurrecting old moans)

Joby

Post by Joby » Tue 12 Aug, 2014 5:49 pm

buzz wrote: Your delay of 10-12 minutes is probably that short due to the number of motorists using the so-called "rat run", thus allieviating a long queue for you. As for not putting people and property at risk, do you not consider that the selfish parking of cars in that area contributes more to the safety issue than vehicles using the road for what it was intended for? (Yes, I know, risk of resurrecting old moans)
Old moans? Unusually for a rat-run discussion, this one has stay remarkably civilized.

Regarding the parking...as a road user it's a problem due to poor visibility at junctions etc., but as a pavement user the most dangerous part is the bit at the bottom of Byde Street with the parking restrictions - the road is still effectively single lane due to cars parked on one side, but the lack of parked cars on the other side is an open invite to impatient motorists to mount the pavement when faced with oncoming traffic. I see this happen pretty much every time I travel up and down Byde Street. While walking the children to school in the morning I've had cars mount the pavement between me and my kids (walking 30 yards or so ahead) and must confess to a few red-mist moments.

At the end of the day there are simply too many vehicles--both parked and in transit--in the area. I'd welcome a closure of Byde Street purely on safety grounds - I'd love my kids to be able to walk or ride to school by themselves but I just don't see how they will be able to with Byde Street to contend with.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Tue 12 Aug, 2014 7:11 pm

Unsurprising we're now heading off topic.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Tue 12 Aug, 2014 7:52 pm

"I'd hate to see Byde Street blocked off as we live right by that corner and it would mean whenever we wanted to head to Welwyn or Sele at weekends (the only time our car is used) we'd have to go via town, which slows our journey. I walk to Hertford North daily and whenever the wife goes into town, she walks. Blocking Byde St doesn't really help the people that live right by that corner as that is the way most travel. One suggestion would be to stop all the double parking around the area. That would mean a wider road for cars and paths that people can actually walk on."

You can get all modern with it and have a rising bollard to allow residents access with the right code/pass/tag... :). I don't get this desire for taking "short cuts" that are a) affecting the amenity of people who live there and b) illegal! We, a long time ago, could drive straight down Port Vale to Herford North to avoid the Old Cross but we've learned to live without the "right"/privilege.

Shall we start another topic or just ask admin to cut and paste one of the old ones so we can kick on?

Razor

Post by Razor » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 8:19 pm

[quote="Joby"

At the end of the day there are simply too many vehicles--both parked and in transit--in the area. I'd welcome a closure of Byde Street purely on safety grounds - I'd love my kids to be able to walk or ride to school by themselves but I just don't see how they will be able to with Byde Street to contend with.[/quote]

In terms of safety, I think the illegal/inconsiderate parking to be equally as bad as the people who sometimes mount the pavement, if not worse considering that the parking means that any pedestrians particularly with buggies or disabled persons, at any time, are forced into the road. Is that really preferable? Even if you blocked it off, you would still have all the parked cars meaning peds would still be forced into the road, so how would that be any safer? Sort the parking out IMHO

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 9:31 pm

Razor wrote:[quote="Joby"

At the end of the day there are simply too many vehicles--both parked and in transit--in the area. I'd welcome a closure of Byde Street purely on safety grounds - I'd love my kids to be able to walk or ride to school by themselves but I just don't see how they will be able to with Byde Street to contend with.
In terms of safety, I think the illegal/inconsiderate parking to be equally as bad as the people who sometimes mount the pavement, if not worse considering that the parking means that any pedestrians particularly with buggies or disabled persons, at any time, are forced into the road. Is that really preferable? Even if you blocked it off, you would still have all the parked cars meaning peds would still be forced into the road, so how would that be any safer? Sort the parking out IMHO[/quote]

Rather obviously - it would be safer because there would be no through traffic.

All moot now. Old Cross re-opened so you can all stop rat running :)

Hertford Born & Bred

Post by Hertford Born & Bred » Wed 13 Aug, 2014 9:43 pm

Darcy are the traffic lights still in place as per H.C.C Tweet

Herts County Council
B158 Old Cross,Hertford, is now open. Thanks for your patience. Traffic lights remain in place while @nationalgriduk continue gas works.

EDITED...Answered my own question after seeing the Mercury Link.
http://www.hertfordshiremercury.co.uk/O ... story.html" target="_blank

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 8:28 am

Back to normal.................the usual suspects "rat running" The Avenue towards the station, one behind me tried to pass me, even though I was in a queue behind the recycling lorries. No I do not use Byde Street / Nelson Street unless I have to for access to a house in the area, even though I live inside the access only signs from Bengeo Street, so presumably could do...................even this last week I didn't use it!

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 4:16 pm

Yes - total delay via Old Cross this morning 45s waiting for lights. Probably quicker than the rat-runner stuck behind Marilyn! Total commute Bengeo to E16 (City Airport) 50 minutes (with no speeding) - I love school holidays..... :D

Razor

Post by Razor » Thu 14 Aug, 2014 10:06 pm

Darcy Sarto wrote:
Rather obviously - it would be safer because there would be no through traffic.
Rather obviously - that would be the case if the cars remained parked and never utilised the road but that's not very likely is it?! ;)