Should residents' permits be allowed in car parks?

Your views on traffic and parking in the town
laurasleight
Should residents' permits be allowed in car parks?

Post by laurasleight » Thu 22 May, 2014 4:30 pm

Hi all,

As you may know, East Herts District Council want to start charging to park until 10pm in their car parks (Gascoyne Way, St Andrew's Street, etc), which are currently free after 6.30pm.

Lots of people in Hertford (like me) are opposing this and you can join us by responding to the council BY 30TH MAY at http://www.eastherts.gov.uk/ehparkingchanges or by signing my petition at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fairparkingforall.

Putting aside the impact on the evening economy in Hertford, my main gripe about these proposals is that they totally ignore town centre residents who have nowhere else to park. :evil:

In Gascoyne Way, we already have to pay up to £1,400 a year (yes that's right!) to park during the day, but at least it's free for those who are only parking overnight. If these proposals go through, all residents will have to pay up to £260/year and have the hassle of buying tickets every day. In other car parks like Hartham Common and Port Vale, the council issues residents' permits for just £36/year, but apparently they 'don't have budget' for all of them. It's a postcode lottery.

Please comment here if you think residents' permits should be allowed in all car parks in Hertford. I'm responding to the EHDC consultation on behalf of residents so please message me if you'd like to sign a joint statement calling for residents' permits.

Many thanks,

Laura Sleight

Louis M

Re: Should residents' permits be allowed in car parks?

Post by Louis M » Thu 29 May, 2014 4:06 pm

Folly Island residents are able to park in Hartham which works very well. One could equally say that if you have a car, don't buy a property in the town centre that doesn't have some sort of provision for parking.

rogerstone

Post by rogerstone » Fri 30 May, 2014 10:45 am

Louis M wrote:Folly Island residents are able to park in Hartham which works very well. One could equally say that if you have a car, don't buy a property in the town centre that doesn't have some sort of provision for parking.
But don't you need to buy a second permt for this ?

laurasleight

Post by laurasleight » Fri 30 May, 2014 4:40 pm

rogerstone wrote:
Louis M wrote:Folly Island residents are able to park in Hartham which works very well. One could equally say that if you have a car, don't buy a property in the town centre that doesn't have some sort of provision for parking.
But don't you need to buy a second permt for this ?
Yes, my understanding is that Folly Island residents can buy one permit for the island and a second permit for the car park. Lucky them!

Louis M

Post by Louis M » Fri 30 May, 2014 10:22 pm

Yes, permit 1 is for either the island or Hartham, permit 2 is just for Hartham.
I don't see why the council couldn't roll out a similar scheme to other parts of the town.