Who will come second?

Discussions about the Parliamentary and local council elections in Hertford

Who will come second in the Hertford & Stortford Parliamentary Election?

Labour
45%
Liberal Democrats
9%
The Green Party
5%
UKIP
41%

Total votes: 22

dennismoore
Who will come second?

Post by dennismoore » Mon 20 Apr, 2015 8:13 pm

That Mark Prisk will win is a foregone conclusion, but there must be something to get excited about, so who will come second this time and by how many?

In 2010 it was Andrew Lewin for the Lib Dems who I remember was an excellent candidate. Over the past 25 years a Lib Dem candidate has been runner up twice and a Labour one three times. In 1997 the Labour candidate got to within a mouthwatering 7,000 votes of Bowen Wells.

With the Lib Dems still being loathed across the country (especially by students), my money (if I had any) would have been on Katherine Chibah to take the coveted silver medal with around 25%-30% of the vote.

Although it'll be interesting to see how the Kipper and Green candidates get on, I don't think the much vaunted 'end of three party politics' has arrived in East Hertfordshire quite yet.
Last edited by admin on Tue 21 Apr, 2015 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added poll

admin
Site Admin

Re: Who will come second?

Post by admin » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 1:18 am

I have taken the liberty of adding a poll to your post :)

mimram

Post by mimram » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 4:09 pm

I know it's very unlikely the Greens will come second, but I felt I needed to be loyal!

dennismoore

Post by dennismoore » Tue 21 Apr, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks for the poll Admin!

I'm surprised that four people think ukip will be runners up, if that were the case and assuming that most kippers are disillusioned Tories,then presumably they will take a massive chunk out of Prisk's majority and we may even be in for a major upset!

leo densian

Post by leo densian » Wed 22 Apr, 2015 9:23 pm

Can honestly say that I have no clue who to vote for and to my mind this time round there has never been a stronger need for a "none of the above" option on the ballot paper. Seriously considering spoiling my paper.

My grandfather once said to me at least 40 years ago "it dunt matter who tha votes for lad, they're all pissin' int same pot".

Can't disagree tbh.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Sun 26 Apr, 2015 10:52 pm

Driving around both Hertford and Stortford (the towns, not the surrounding areas) I've seen quite a few Labour posters but very few [if any] Tory or Libdem.

JohnSmith

Post by JohnSmith » Wed 29 Apr, 2015 11:23 am

Steve wrote:Driving around both Hertford and Stortford (the towns, not the surrounding areas) I've seen quite a few Labour posters but very few [if any] Tory or Libdem.
I too look out for these. I did manage to find one Tory supporter in Fordwich Rise.

It looks likely that we will have another coalition which means that it's impossible to vote for a party based on their manifesto.

No wonder the youngsters can't be bothered to vote.