Senova Cycles

Requests and recommendations for local crafts and tradesmen
Golden
Re: Senova Cycles

Post by Golden » Thu 24 Sep, 2015 8:47 pm

Sorry to hear that Kate, but please educate your son to lock the wheels and the frame even if it means buying a second padlock. They have just had some more CCTV put in at East station so you may have some luck - and it may be worth getting hold of BT Police as its possibly their patch?

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Thu 24 Sep, 2015 9:28 pm

Kateg28 wrote:Where exactly are they and will they have something he will be interested in
Right in the centre of town. Opposite The Duncombe. Where the Cactus gift shop used to be. Between Retail Therapy and Rose Café.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Thu 24 Sep, 2015 9:41 pm

Thanks everyone. He hadn't locked the frame as it wouldn't reach but we will buy a second padlock and lock them to each other. I have also asked him to take the cycle with him to the rowing club whenever possible as it is secure there.

The police will investigate and apparently contact the station regarding the CCTV so we may catch the culprits yet. Doubt it but you never know. They were very positive.

Joby

Post by Joby » Fri 25 Sep, 2015 8:26 am

Kateg28 wrote:Under £400 if I can, definitely not more than £500. He is not a cyclist per se but uses a cycle as transport.(he is 17 so a man's bike, not a child's one).
Sorry to hear about the theft.

I think you'll be lucky to find something under £400 in Senova, they lean more towards higher-end bikes. You might get lucky in there or Highway with an end-of-season sale but <£400 is not really a local-bike-shop price.

Consider Decathlon in Harlow, they have an excellent range of budget bikes in that price range. The BTWIN brand is becoming more well-known and respected in this country (it is huge in Europe). You will get more bang for your buck there.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Fri 25 Sep, 2015 8:36 am

Joby wrote: I think you'll be lucky to find something under £400 in Senova, they lean more towards higher-end bikes. You might get lucky in there or Highway with an end-of-season sale but <£400 is not really a local-bike-shop price.
I thought that would be the case. I really don't want a high end bike as he will be taking it to Uni in a year or so and he uses it as transport to and from Rowing, he doesn't cycle itself if you know what I mean.

Highway do have some for under the £400 mark and they have always done right by us so I will pop in on Saturday with my son. Just really want to avoid Halfords if I can and support local businesses wherever possible.Harlow is a bit of a trek especially as we will probably have to go back and collect it whereas my son can get it from Highway whenever he wants to.

On a positive note, the station have just had CCTV installed so assuming it was on, we may have some luck in catching the scum. I have written off the bike but would still like justice if possible.

gregb

Post by gregb » Fri 25 Sep, 2015 10:35 am

I can second BTWIN bikes at Decathlon in Harlow. You get a hell of a lot of bike for your money. Give them a try. They'll be more in the £400 budget.

Taxing

Post by Taxing » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 7:48 am

If, like me, your son is using a bike purely to commute to the station and leave it there, I'd stick to a fairly cheap bike out of Halfords. You can pick up a pretty decent solid bike for under £200 and if it's main use is a "station" bike, I'd not spend anyomore.

jackanapes

Post by jackanapes » Mon 28 Sep, 2015 8:53 am

I can second BTWIN bikes at Decathlon in Harlow. You get a hell of a lot of bike for your money
Yeah I've tried to pick one up, a hell of a lot of bike.

For a student/station bike I'd do second hand, even cheapish new bikes have the patina of "new" and therefore shiftable by the shifty.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Tue 29 Sep, 2015 8:44 am

Problem is, It isn't just a commute to station bike, he normally uses it to ride all the way down to Broxbourne to go rowing, it is just sometimes he hasn't enough time after school to get there in time so sometimes it just goes to the station. However, I have said even when he takes the train he should take the bike down to the rowing club as it is much more secure there.

So the bike needs to be mixed terrain bike as he does a mixture of road and tow path (probably 75% tow path) and fairly robust to get there and back (17km each way)

I have now bought the bike and I am really ashamed to say.....

I bought from Halfords :o :oops: . They had a sale on (possibly a DFS type Sale) and it also comes down to convenience as I just cannot get to Harlow until early November to pick it up (I have university visiting and many other commitments) whereas my OH works in Stevenage and is picking it up tomorrow.

I was served by a Potato though whose knowledge of bikes extended to number of wheels and colour. :?

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Fri 02 Oct, 2015 8:27 am

Little update, the British Transport Police have been in touch and the thieves have been caught on camera so they are just circulating the images for identification so we might actually get a prosecution for this.

Wont get the bike back but catching the thieves is a good start.