Welcome To The New Forum

Contributions, adding your business or organisation, suggestions and feedback.

What do you think of the new forum?

Yay
69%
Meh
27%
Ugh
4%

Total votes: 26

Razor
Re: Welcome To The New Forum

Post by Razor » Thu 05 Dec, 2013 1:48 pm

I know I cannot post recommendations yet but can also cannot seem to make a post requesting recommendations in crafts and trades - is this correct Admin?

I must say this requirement for all users to have to post 10 new posts before they can use the recommendations is a bit of a pain and will mean that for quite a while this very helpful part of the forum will me much less so. Any chance previous forum members can carry over their posts? If not, why not?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu 05 Dec, 2013 2:43 pm

Razor wrote:I know I cannot post recommendations yet but can also cannot seem to make a post requesting recommendations in crafts and trades - is this correct Admin?
This is correct. The reason for this requirement is to prevent people joining the forum solely to post recommendations. Many people regard recommendations from people with no other posting history as questionable. It also also to prevent people with a personal interest in a business from posting for promotional purposes. We like to ensure that recommendations on this board are from genuine users of a business. We appreciate that this requirement may limit the Recommendations forum during the opening days of the new forum but we're confident that users will soon accumulate the necessary number of posts, especially if they have a view on the many other topics being discussed here.
Razor wrote:Any chance previous forum members can carry over their posts? If not, why not?
The new forum is completely different from the old forum, written in a different language and using a different database. As documented in our announcement on the old forum, there is no direct migration path, which is why we are asking users to re-register with the new forum.

Razor

Post by Razor » Thu 05 Dec, 2013 3:41 pm

Ok. thanks for the quick responses

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 7:14 am

There appears to be a converter for snitz to phpbb that "should" bring over posts, post counts, etc.

http://snitz2phpbb.sourceforge.net/

Personally I have never tried it as I have worked 99.9% of the time with Invision Power Board and I usually, except under very special circumstances, steer clear of phpbb, snitz, SMF.

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 11:49 am

I like it. My only problem as it is one of the most popular applications for forums (fora?), then I have two others I use that have the same colour scheme so I get a bit confused.

I will get over it.

It does mean I am used to it's little ways!

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Fri 06 Dec, 2013 1:30 pm

Joe wrote:There appears to be a converter for snitz to phpbb that "should" bring over posts, post counts, etc.

Personally I have never tried it as I have worked 99.9% of the time with Invision Power Board and I usually, except under very special circumstances, steer clear of phpbb, snitz, SMF.
That's a converter to phpBB2. This forum is running on phpBB3.

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun 08 Dec, 2013 6:15 am

Steve wrote:
Joe wrote:There appears to be a converter for snitz to phpbb that "should" bring over posts, post counts, etc.

That's a converter to phpBB2. This forum is running on phpBB3.

My mistake I didn't know that PHPBB was at 3. Reading around the web it seem that the only way to do it for now is to install phpbb2, convert and then upgrade to phpbb3

Razor

Post by Razor » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 11:20 pm

Admin - is there an option to "view active topics since last login" as there was with the old forum? Apologies if this has been asked already. I know the options of view unanswered posts or unread posts but neither of these is the same thing and you end up seeing the same topics that you may not be interested in. thanks.

Steve
Project Leader

Post by Steve » Mon 09 Dec, 2013 11:49 pm

Razor wrote:Admin - is there an option to "view active topics since last login" as there was with the old forum? Apologies if this has been asked already. I know the options of view unanswered posts or unread posts but neither of these is the same thing and you end up seeing the same topics that you may not be interested in. thanks.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I always use View unread posts, or the URL http://www.hertford.net/discussion/sear ... nreadposts . This shows me all the posts I've not previously seen or read. I'm not sure how this differs from the old active topics view.

Have you tried View new posts?
http://www.hertford.net/discussion/sear ... d=newposts

Razor

Post by Razor » Tue 10 Dec, 2013 9:15 am

Steve - thanks for the reply. The difference is that with "view active topics since last login" it only showed new posts since my last login. Viewing "unread posts" will show me all the topics/posts I haven't read but don't want to. The list will continue to get bigger unless I actually read every post/topic where they won't always be of interest. Have I explained a bit better? It is the "since last login" bit that was the really useful feature