GOLDINGS (The William Baker Technical School)

Questions and discussions about the town's past
Mack E. Avelly
Re: GOLDINGS (The William Baker Technical School)

Post by Mack E. Avelly » Thu 01 Jan, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi Paul,

I'd strongly recommend that you follow the link in the second post by Admin in this section. Here you'll find many articles carefully uploaded by Dave over the years. I've read many of them and certainly recall some that focussed on the lads who chose printing as their future career.

This was from the former, vibrant Discover Hertford, rather than this lame tumbleweed infested pastiche replacement. An epic fail.

When this new impostor was first launched I was mortified to discover that no real attempt had been made to bring across the history. Considering the hundreds of hours Dave had put into posting there, I thought the excuses made that it was impossible to transfer them were extremely lame, much like this new site. The blog page hasn't been updated since July.

A pity as I used to look in several times daily but as traffic has tailed off badly, once or twice a week now suffices.

One of the remaining stalwarts has recently tried to kick up a fake storm to see if anyone takes the bait, but despite being viewed several times has had no responses. Welcome to Meh, Whevs Hertford!

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat 03 Jan, 2015 5:39 am

Mack E. Avelly wrote:Hi Paul,

I'd strongly recommend that you follow the link in the second post by Admin in this section. Here you'll find many articles carefully uploaded by Dave over the years. I've read many of them and certainly recall some that focussed on the lads who chose printing as their future career.

This was from the former, vibrant Discover Hertford, rather than this lame tumbleweed infested pastiche replacement. An epic fail.

When this new impostor was first launched I was mortified to discover that no real attempt had been made to bring across the history. Considering the hundreds of hours Dave had put into posting there, I thought the excuses made that it was impossible to transfer them were extremely lame, much like this new site. The blog page hasn't been updated since July.

A pity as I used to look in several times daily but as traffic has tailed off badly, once or twice a week now suffices.

One of the remaining stalwarts has recently tried to kick up a fake storm to see if anyone takes the bait, but despite being viewed several times has had no responses. Welcome to Meh, Whevs Hertford!
Hi there. the old forum hasn't been available since November
Admin post: http://www.hertford.net/discussion/view ... t=23#p2932" target="_blank

Mack E. Avelly

Post by Mack E. Avelly » Sun 04 Jan, 2015 3:33 am

Thanks for putting me straight there Joe.

Absolutely lamentable given the effort Dave in particular put into the old Forum.

A Ryan Air special, how to go out of your way to really piss your customers off.

I picked up on this...

"The Techie Stuff

The old forum was based on ASP/MS Access and ran on a Windows server. Development of ASP Classic ceased many years ago. There is no migration path from Snitz to PHP/MySQL, otherwise we would have done it. The new server is a LAMP stack (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP)."

At a database level, transferring text from MS Access to MySQL is falling off a log stuff. Even if it doesn't then easily nestle with the rest of the latest toys, it should still have been a relatively simple job to make the old data available as an archive. Might have been a bit messy, but should not have been walked away from.

Not Fit For Purpose. I would not have signed this migration off.

dave

Post by dave » Mon 17 Apr, 2017 6:37 pm

This will be 50 years since Dr Barnardo's closed Goldings,the William Baker Technical School. Since 1957 Goldings Old Boys and Staff have had a School Re-Union every year, and for the last 10 years it has been held at Sele Farm Community Centre. As this year has been 50 years since the close we are hoping to make it a special one, as last year the oldest old boy was 99 years of age and was part of the boarding party that captured the Enigma Decoder.The present residents of Goldings are so very kind and invite us every year to visit the grounds and inside the mansion for us to look were we once lived and slept from the usual age of 13 and left at 16 other than the Printers who remained to serve their apprentiship at 21 and lived at the Verney in Waterford after leaving Goldings at 16. I am sure lots of the senior residents remember the school and our Cadet Band, along with our Gym Team. Many local residents set their watch to the sound of our bugler as all the movement in the school was controlled by the bugle from getting up in the morning and lights out at bedtime and many tunes in between for various functions within the school. We are this year hoping to hold a service at Waterford in St Michaels and All Angels Church on the day of the re-union October 7th 2017 with the time to be agreed. We was hoping to find a Cadet Band on the day after the service or a lone bugler who could play our familiar marching tunes on the day. If anyone can help or has contact that we could use on the day I would be grateful for the help.
Dave Blower Goldings 1962-65.

Darcy Sarto

Post by Darcy Sarto » Fri 21 Apr, 2017 5:50 pm

Sarto Jr (who is a scout leader and was a Cadet) suggests the 1st Braughing Scout Group Band - braughingscouts.org.uk or Hertford and Ware Air Cadets - 936aircadets.org. Best of luck.

dave

Post by dave » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 4:59 pm

Many thanks for your help I will contact them both,the Scouts and the AirCadets today.We had the Herts and Beds Cadets at Goldings and after the 2nd World War a Air Cadets Force,which used to train at Pansanger, but the Air Cadets was finished when I arrived 1962-65, again many thanks Dave, Goldings.