Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

For the customers of Greater Anglia, FCC and Network Rail
highwood38
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon 20 Oct, 2014 5:14 pm

Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby highwood38 » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 10:58 am

GTR have started consulting on next year's timetable. I found it by accident as I hadn't noticed anything in the station (though I haven't been looking that hard so there may be posters up). I'd say it's a minor improvement overall from Hertford North but the journey times in the evening are longer than at present (and they still seem to be padding the timetable with stupid timings (5 minutes from Old Street to Moorgate!))

https://www.transformingrail.com/

beebopb
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu 23 Apr, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby beebopb » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 12:56 pm

I guess it depends when you're travelling. As far as I can see all but one of the existing fastest journeys departing Hertford North between 6am and 8:30am will have increased journey times on the new timetable. This seems to be because Hertford passengers are paying the price of stopping at Harringay and Hornsey to the benefit of passengers on the Welwyn branch, which will no longer have any trains stopping at those stations.

Of course some of the slow trains have slightly faster journey times on the new timetable, but in my experience most people aim to catch the fast trains at the moment, so I suspect most people will be adversely affected.

User avatar
Steve
Project Leader
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 12:01 am

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby Steve » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 1:40 pm

See Hertford North to Stevenage Consultation thread at
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=840

highwood38
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon 20 Oct, 2014 5:14 pm

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby highwood38 » Tue 25 Jul, 2017 7:52 pm

beebopb wrote:I guess it depends when you're travelling. As far as I can see all but one of the existing fastest journeys departing Hertford North between 6am and 8:30am will have increased journey times on the new timetable. This seems to be because Hertford passengers are paying the price of stopping at Harringay and Hornsey to the benefit of passengers on the Welwyn branch, which will no longer have any trains stopping at those stations.

Of course some of the slow trains have slightly faster journey times on the new timetable, but in my experience most people aim to catch the fast trains at the moment, so I suspect most people will be adversely affected.


The 7.46 becomes a minute quicker (the new 7.42) and the 8.18 stays the same (though it leaves at 8.12, which means it now arrives at Moorgate before 9) and they both have 5 minutes in their timetable from Old Street to Moorgate (which is clearly a scam to allow them to meet punctuality targets better). I agree with you they seem to have killed off any other quick morning trains which is a bit annoying. I had hoped the new trains would be quicker at getting people on and off as that's one of the big hold ups at places like Finsbury Park and Highbury & Islington.

I never thought I would care about a minute here and there but when it's twice a day, five days a week it starts to add up!

I've responded to the consultation asking for faster trains from Hertford so maybe if others do that too it may help (though probably not)...

beebopb
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu 23 Apr, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby beebopb » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 7:52 am

highwood38 wrote:I never thought I would care about a minute here and there but when it's twice a day, five days a week it starts to add up!


As someone who regularly drags themselves out of bed in time to catch the 06:24, those few extra minutes seem particularly precious!

User avatar
Steve
Project Leader
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed 06 Nov, 2013 12:01 am

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby Steve » Wed 26 Jul, 2017 5:45 pm

Let's not forget with withdrawl of train services to Stevenage

beebopb
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu 23 Apr, 2015 6:19 pm

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby beebopb » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 12:59 pm

That's a massive issue and a further example of how users of the Hertford loop pay the price for improvements to services on the main line.

codek2
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue 12 Nov, 2013 4:32 pm

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby codek2 » Mon 21 Aug, 2017 5:00 pm

Petition against the withdrawl of services here:

https://www.change.org/p/department-for ... hare=false

TcfL
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon 16 Oct, 2017 7:57 am

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby TcfL » Sat 11 Nov, 2017 8:58 am

Mark Prisk MP is running a survey on the service https://www.markprisk.com/news/mark-lau ... ger-survey

JohnSmith
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu 12 Dec, 2013 2:04 pm

Re: Transforming Rail consultation (Hertford North)

Postby JohnSmith » Fri 17 Nov, 2017 11:38 pm

TcfL wrote:Mark Prisk MP is running a survey on the service https://www.markprisk.com/news/mark-lau ... ger-survey


It would be interesting to see how he would address a high number of responses to questions 4 & 5 being "Price of tickets".


Return to “Rail Users Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron