locked gates at Hertford East

For the customers of Greater Anglia, FCC and Network Rail
glasshalffull
Re: locked gates at Hertford East

Post by glasshalffull » Tue 13 Jan, 2015 10:07 pm

Talking to the guy who has taken over the kiosk at Hertford East recently. He told me that he is the one that insisted side gates were closed before he agreed to take the lease. This makes people use the front door of the station and therefore at least pass by his shop

Kateg28

Post by Kateg28 » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 9:29 am

Now that makes sense and I can completely understand his position.

Why fob us off with stupid excuses about staff safety that make no sense as there are no staff. Now I will not get irritated when I walk through as I can see the point of it.

newcomer

Post by newcomer » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 10:36 am

glasshalffull wrote:Talking to the guy who has taken over the kiosk at Hertford East recently. He told me that he is the one that insisted side gates were closed before he agreed to take the lease. This makes people use the front door of the station and therefore at least pass by his shop
Ah! That thought did occur to me the other day...
Kateg28 wrote: Why fob us off with stupid excuses about staff safety that make no sense as there are no staff. Now I will not get irritated when I walk through as I can see the point of it.
Yes completely agree about the excuses (I may ask them... :) I will still be slightly irritated though...

Ewoowar

Post by Ewoowar » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 11:46 am

On a recent trip from Ware to Hertford east I was about to buy a ticket at Ware when someone said, "Don't bother".

Golden

Post by Golden » Wed 14 Jan, 2015 12:23 pm

With regard to the safety issues it would be interesting (as a fire safety expert and for research purposes only) to see how a train load of commuters would get through the station entrance should the new shop set fire to the nice old dried out wooden ticket hall - I know the national rail guidance documents, etc. which cover stations with single exit routes but wonder how the risk assessment would endorse the closing of an exit route.

Secondly the situation on the line with respect to ticket collectors is ridiculous - I only use it about 2/3 times a week and almost every time I use it there are people obviously evading the inspectors when they get on. I've told them before about someone hiding in the toilet but was simply ignored so won't bother again. With regard to safety some of these people are quite intimidating and there's often groups rather than individuals - in my opinion the ticket inspectors seem happy to go for the soft targets and I've witnessed them working the train up until the London borders then sitting down once it gets a bit too difficult! Don't be conned about safety its all about profit - send the case to the mythbusters panel at the HSE and see what they make of it.